Question: My 5 month old lab puppy was just biting at a bee outside a few minutes ago. Now his lips and nose are really swollen. Do we need to do something?
Answer: Your pet is experiencing an allergic reaction to a bee sting. Most reactions to stings will cause some amount of facial swelling, but in severe cases the reaction can lead to respiratory distress or difficulty breathing.
If you suspect your pet is having a reaction you can give 1mg per pound of Benadryl (25mg for a 25 pound dog) at home. If the Benadryl doesn’t control the swelling, if the swelling is severe, or if your pet is painful or having difficulty breathing, it is time for a pet emergency visit to our clinic where usually a shot of steroids will quickly stop even a severe reaction.
Prompt treatment for allergic reactions is very effective in preventing any serious complications.